I have been sharing my cell phone tether connection for about a week over an ad hoc network and suddenly it stopped working. After banging my head against a wall for about an hour I finally figured out how to fix it and wanted to share.
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Open the adapter that is connected to the internet and find it’s properties panel
- Go to the sharing tab and disable sharing
- Apply and close the properties panel
- Go back to the Network and Sharing Center
- Click set up a new connection or network
- Set up a wireless ad hoc connection
- Configure your new network
- Enable ICS from this panel
If you do that it frees up whatever resource was being tied up and you can share your connection again.